By now, the winter weather is in full force. The snow is flying, ice is glazing over the ponds and lakes, and noses are dripping thanks to freezing temps. That means it’s time to grab your skis or snowboard, pack the RV, and hit the road. We’ve got our top picks of campgrounds and RV parks for skiers and snowboarders.
1. Zephyr Cove RV Park and Campground, Zephyr Cove, NV (near Lake Tahoe) – If you plan to make a little mischief at Heavenly or Squaw Valley this season , reserve one of 93 RV sites or 57 tent sites at Zephyr Cove. The grounds are located just a few miles from some of the most popular ski areas in the country.
2. Rockport State Park, Peoa, UT (near Park City) – At Rockport State Park, less than ten miles from Park City, you are not far from Park City Mountain Resort and Deer Valley, but you’ll pay a fraction of what the resort-goers do. You’re also just down the road from the Sundance Film Festival.
3. Tiger Run RV Resort, Breckenridge, CO – With accommodations for 365 RVs, Tiger Run RV Resort gives you the best access to the slopes in Breckenridge, CO, and Keystone, CO. Breckenridge also boasts a local brewery where you can enjoy an après-ski drink.
4. Camper Corner, Ennis, MT (near Big Sky, MT) – Forget that this RV park is tucked away; the drive to Big Sky or Moonlight Basin is stunning. And while you’re in Big Sky, check out the Wrap Shack for an out-of-this-world burrito. Camper Corner has 21 RV sites and laundry facilities so you can have fresh, dry gear for the next day of riding.
5. Smiley Creek Lodge, Ketchum, ID (near Sun Valley, ID) – If you don’t mind a winding drive through the mountains, one of Smiley Creek Lodge’s 37 RV sites may be your perfect getaway. Known for fluffy powder, Sun Valley consistently ranks highly among riders.
6. Cedar City KOA, Cedar City, UT (near Brian Head, UT) – Southern Utah is best known for Zion and Moab National Parks, but you may be surprised to know it has first-rate skiing as well. Make a reservation at Cedar City KOA, which has 105 RV sites, 32 tent sites, cabins and cottages open all year. It’s just 29 miles from Brian Head Resort.
7. North Pole Resorts, Lake Placid, NY – This one’s for you, East Coasters. Spend some time in upstate New York’s home of the 1932 and 1980 Winter Olympic Games. North Pole Resorts’ has a limited number of RV sites available, with limited facilities, but if you are self contained it is a good base just around the bend from world-class downhill and cross-country skiing.
8. Lake Dunmore Kampersville, Rutland, VT (near Killington, VT) – Killington is among the most popular mountains for snow lovers in the northeast. Lake Dunmore Kampersville has 200 RV sites, which is good because you’re going to have to drive a bit to get to the slopes. Worry not, it’s worth the trek.
Written by Brent Cambell