It’s happened to anyone who’s spent much time travelling by RV. You set your first-day sights on a distant stopping point, then realize how much there is to see along the way. A National Park here, a roadside diner there, and the day is gone, long before you reach your destination. With no campground reservation in hand, what’s a savvy motorhome camper to do?
Check out Walmart! Yes, you read that right – Walmart is not only the place for camping essentials, it’s also the best-kept “secret” in free overnight camping. Many Walmart locations across the country allow motorhome campers to stop overnight (free!) in their parking lots.
If you’re new to RV travel or just rented an RV from El Monte RV, you will definitely want to take advantage of this budget-stretching concept, Here are a few helpful links to help find the Walmart locations along your route and make things easier on the road:
DISCLAIMER/WARNING: While free overnight stays at Walmart may be something that may seem attractive, always check with the store to see if they allow camping. In addition, in some cities/states, it is illegal. Families on the Road cares about your safety, so consider the area in which the Walmart is located when deciding to stay there. Some stores may be in areas that may be unsafe.
Other Sources of Information on Free RV Camping
- Casinos – Some casinos allow free overnight parking for motorhomes. A good resource to locate them is Casino Camper.
- Truck Stops – Many truck stops will let you stay overnight for free. To locate these see Truck Stop Locations.
- overnightrvparking.com – Another resource for free overnight parking is overnightrvparking.com. They also offer a mobile app for your convenience.
- boondockerswelcome.com – Free overnight parking on private property.
- Harvest Hosts – Free overnight camping at wineries, farms, and agri-tourism sites.
Happy FREE camping!
Comments are closed.