September 21, 2016 By
I hope you had a great summer camping season and you enjoyed your RV or trailer with your family and friends. Autumn is a great time of the year to continue to spend time in the great outdoors. Colorful foliage season is upon us. So, spend you free time viewing the fall colors and exploring the hiking trails while experiencing cooler weather without the humidity.
The fall is also the time to decide whether or not you will be using your RV/trailer or parking it for the winter. If you choose to park it for the winter season, then you will need to either winterize your RV yourself, or hire a professional.
If you elect to do it yourself, then you should follow the recommended procedure for winterizing your camper, trailer or RV (some additional items may be necessary before you get started and are available for sale at our store). Be sure to check your owner’s manual before proceeding with the following:
- Non-toxic PEAK PER0A3 RV and Marine Antifreeze – 1 GallonRV antifreeze (check your manual to see how much you need as the amount depends on the layout and length of your plumbing lines. Typically, 2 to 3 gallons).
- A water heater by-pass kit, if it isn’t already installed.
- A wand to clean out holding tanks.
- A water pump converter kit, or tubing to connect to the inlet side of the water pump.
- Hand tools to remove drain plugs.
Now you can begin the winterizing process for the water system to protect it from freezing:
- If your vehicle has any inline water filters, remove them and bypass before starting.
- Drain the fresh water holding tank.
- Drain and flush the gray and black holding tanks.
- Drain the water heater.
- Then open all hot and cold faucets. Do not forget the toilet valve and outside shower.
Prefer to have someone else do it? Bring your trailer or RV into Pocono RV; our extensive services include winterizing, roof maintenance, roof repairs, PA state inspection, brakes, wheel bearings, seal repairs, hitch installation, slide adjustments, and much more, by our certified technicians.